In its first two years, the London Youth Gateway supported 9,058 young people who were homeless, or at risk, with advice, access to accommodation, training and much more.
We are of course very pleased about the number of young people we helped, but the outcomes and impact of that support are what matters most. In that respect the London Youth Gateway has clearly been very effective, for instance because we:
- supported young homeless people into suitable accommodation 1,084 times…
- …so that 454 were prevented from sleeping rough, including 108 young offenders just released from custody
- 70% of the young people we engaged in our services reported to have gained improved knowledge and skills to avoid homelessness and/or sustain accommodation
In order to respond appropriately to the needs of young people, we provide genuinely holistic services. To illustrate, in 2013-15:
- 2,202 young people mentioned that they had improved their conflict management and relationship skills via our support
- 1,975 young people reported improved health and/or mental wellbeing
- 1,916 secured employment, education and/or training
Our beneficiaries themselves also confirm that engaging with the London Youth Gateway works: 88% of young people responding to our surveys said they are (very) satisfied with the impact we have made on their lives.