Preventing youth homelessness
- advice services specialising in supporting young people – including benefit advice, debt support and financial literacy development
- family mediation, advocacy, floating support
- support in addressing underlying problems such as mental health, low self-esteem, emotional and/or behavioural issues
- development of independent living skills – including targeted workshops
- youth homelessness prevention work at schools and colleges
Our beneficiaries tell us our work in this area is effective: nearly 6,500 of the young people we supported during the last two years reported that they have gained improved skills and understanding to avoid homelessness and/or sustain their current accommodation.
Most of our prevention activities are accessible to young people still at home, in hostels or other accommodation, and/or to those who present as homeless at local authority services but who are not in priority need. We are thus perfectly equipped to complement local authority services by offering the kind of holistic activities needed to prevent and address youth homelessness.
Keen to hear more about how we do this? Please contact the London Youth Gateway Coordinator (email@example.com or tel 020 7388 5560) and/or sign up for our quarterly e-bulletin here