Despite rapidly dwindling housing options for this client group and high PRS rents, the London Youth Gateway remains very effective in helping homeless young people to access suitable accommodation. Similarly, our specialist advice services and other support activities enable us to excel in making sure that young people sustain their accommodation. The New Horizon Youth Centre PRS access scheme, for instance, has a 95% tenancy sustainment rate.
PRS evictions are now a key cause of homelessness, further aggravated by problems tenants face with rogue landlords and so-called revenge evictions. The London Youth Gateway offers a wide-range of relevant support to young people so as to help address and prevent homelessness:
- extensive youth-targeted advice services, including specialist LGBT advice – addressing problems with landlords, preventing evictions, benefit advice, debt relief, employment issues, and more
- floating support and resettlement sessions across London
- financial capability and budgeting sessions, so that young people also learn how to avoid debt and arrears
- independent living workshops – with topics such as tenant rights and responsibilities, living in shared accommodation, and staying safe
- help in improving young people’s relationship and communication skills
With young people becoming increasingly dependent on PRS accommodation and with pending benefit changes for 18-21 year-olds, this type of work will be become even more important. By working in partnership, the London Youth Gateway can deliver a very comprehensive and effective advice and benefit support tailored to this specific client group.